A Reverse Osmosis drinking water system that removes total dissolved solids (TDS). It works by pushing the water through a semipermeable membrane that acts as a filter and is stored in a tank. This membrane allows only water to pass through, leaving any impurities and dissolved solids behind. It removes particles as little as .001 microns. That is about the size of a human hair split a hundred times!
Advantages of Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water
- Tastes and smells better – Water bottle companies such as Aquafina and Dasani use reverse osmosis water treatment in their products.
- Safer – It filters out many different contaminants, bacteria and viruses that could be sitting within your pipes or coming from your water supplier.
- No Electricity needed – It uses the water pressure to pump through the different filters and membrane and doesn’t have to plug into an outlet.
- Cost Savings – You’ll no longer need to purchase water bottles and can get your drinking water straight from the faucet at your kitchen sink!
- Easy to Maintain – Depending on usage, you only have to replace the filters once a year and the membrane, two years.
- Environmentally Friendly – Did you know that it takes over 17 million barrels of oil to keep up with American’s water bottle demand? That’s enough to keep 1.3 million cars fueled for an ENTIRE YEAR! (source: Ban the Bottle)
Reverse Osmosis Process on a Wider Scale
The reverse osmosis process is used in desalination plants to help make salt water safe for consumption. The military uses a form of the process to filter virtually any body of water. Another interesting production process that uses a reverse osmosis is maple syrup production. (source: Wikipedia)
Where Can You Get a Reverse Osmosis System for Your Home?
Call your local licensed Tampa plumbing company, like The Pampering Plumber at 727-232-8400 or visit www.pamperingplumber.com. It’s strongly recommended to go through a licensed plumbing contractor since they are dealing with your drinking water and cross-contamination is a possibility if not installed properly.